Wednesday 22 May 2013

Stan's the man: Petrov takes on coaching role

Stiliyan Petrov has joined the coaching staff at Aston Villa.

Just a few days after Petrov Day at Villa's last game of the season in Wigan marked his departure as a player, he has a new role at the club

Long time friend Paul Lambert had hinted there would be a place for the midfield maestro on his coaching team, an offer which he has now accepted. He will work as assistant to Villa development coach Gordon Cowans.

"I'm very excited by this new challenge and I wish to thank the club and the manager, Paul Lambert, for giving me the opportunity to continue my association with Villa, which I have always regarded as a privilege.

"I will study for my coaching badges over the coming months and I am looking forward very much to working with Gordon Cowans, someone I know and respect, a true Villa legend.

"My hope is that I can assist Gordon through my own experience in the game and that I can help the young lads to progress, become better players and better human beings. There are important values that we have always stood for at the club and we will continue to do so."

Petrov joined Villa from Scottish Premier League side Celtic in 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Google+