Wednesday 30 October 2013

We know you've read the Albrighton story already, but we're doing it anyway...

Marc Albrighton has buggered off to Owen Coyle’s Wigan Athletic on a 28-day loan.

The 23-year-old wide man has failed to live up to his initial promise and will be hoping that his stay at the DW Stadium can help get his faltering career back on track.

Marc said: “It’s really nice to come to a club and be wanted. Hopefully over the next month I can pick up some good form, confidence and do well for Wigan Athletic.

“I’ve had a couple of tough years with injuries so I need to show that I can still do it and at the same time help the club put some points on the board to move further up the table where they should be.

“I’m 23 years of age, so it’s an important stage in my career and that’s why I was so desperate to get out on loan and compete for first team football. Paul Lambert agreed that this would be an ideal move for me, and as soon as I found out Wigan Athletic were interested in bringing me in I jumped at the chance to come to the DW Stadium.

“I know a couple of the lads already; Scott Carson and Shaun Maloney were Aston Villa team mates of mine once upon a time so it’ll be good to see them again, although they’re both injured at the moment. To be honest though the manager has told me so many good things about the group and I can’t wait to start work with the whole squad.

Ironically, it was against Latics at Villa Park in August 2009 that Marc took his first Premier League bow for Villa in a 2-0 defeat for Martin O’Neill’s side:

“It was the first day of the 2009/10 season,” he recalled, “I remember it well. I came off the bench and still have the shirt framed at home with a plaque underneath reading: Premier League debut vs Wigan Athletic. The scoreline escapes me at the moment though, I’ve tried to forget about that!

“I’ve grown up supporting Villa, they’re always going to be my club and to play for them in the Premier League is a fantastic achievement."

Owen Coyle added: "He's at a young age with the potential and scope to get even better; he's quick, dangerous and pleasing on the eye and I feel he's going to really enhance the attacking options we have at Wigan Athletic, particularly in light of Shaun Maloney's absence." 

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan chipped in: "I saw my leg bend in mid-air. I managed to grab it before I fell to the ground, because otherwise it could have been a compound fracture, the bone straight out of my leg."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Google+