Tuesday 20 August 2013

Petrov steps down from Under 21 duties

Stan Petrov is stepping down temporarily from his role as Villa's assistant U21 coach at Villa, finding the day-to-day workload "too much too soon" following his recovery from acute leukaemia.

Villa's ex-skipper has been in remission for 12 months and has been working alongside Sid Cowans.

"The entire Villa family has been incredibly supportive and I am so grateful for this, as is Paulina and my close family circle," he said.

"I love my new role with the Club, I love the involvement and I want to continue to make a valid contribution. In order to do this to the best of my ability, however, I need to take some time away as I have found the day-to-day demands of the job to be just a little too much too soon.

"I intend to spend some time with my family and in six months or so we'll assess how everything is then. Physically, I just need to build myself up some more before I can throw myself into things in the only way I know how which is full-on commitment.

"I appreciate very much the understanding shown by the Club. I have spoken to the manager and to the chief executive and they, in particular, have been great in helping me to reach a decision which I feel is the right one while also reassuring me that the Club will always be here for me, which I know in my heart.

"Thank you again to all of the fans and I will very much remain a part of the Villa family throughout the coming six months or so while I concentrate on getting stronger and, physically, being back to myself."

Paul Lambert emphasised that the club were fully behind Stan's decision and added "One thing is certain, he will always have a part to play at this football club and everyone at Aston Villa will echo that sentiment."

It goes without saying that everyone at villamad.co.uk wishes Stan well for the future and would love to see him back in the dugout when he feels ready to return.

Villa are selling tickets for Stan's charity game at Celtic.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Google+