Tuesday 2 September 2014

Tom Cleverley joins Aston Villa in last gasp loan deal

Tom Cleverley's season long loan move to Aston Villa has been approved by The Premier League.

The eleventh hour deal was brokered last night after a move to Everton fell through.

It is believed that United have a recall option in January.

A deal was agreed before the transfer deadline on Monday night for the England international to move to the Midlanders, but was only confirmed on Tuesday afternoon.

The midfielder came through the ranks at Old Trafford and has made 79 appearances United, finding the net on five occasions. His last outing came in the 1-1 draw against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

Cleverley has previously had loan spells with Leicester City, Watford and Wigan Athletic.

"The prospect of working under the manager and Roy, who were both fantastic midfielders in their playing careers, made the decision to come to Villa an easy one.

"I'm looking forward to working with them but also the other really good midfield players that the club have, like Fabian Delph, Ashley Westwood and other new lads like Kieran Richardson, Joe Cole and Carlos Sanchez.

"I've been watching Villa games this year and it's been a really good start and, with the upcoming fixtures all big games, hopefully I can bring a bit of big game experience and add to the squad and help us to win some games.

"It's a team that plays the style of football that I like. They play with high energy, they pass and move and there are a lot of good young players. The manager told me the way that he'd like me to play and it all sat perfectly for me. I'm very happy to be coming down to play for Villa.

"First and foremost I have got to get back playing and hopefully as a by-product of that I can get back in the England team. The thing I am concentrating on though is trying to come in and hit the ground running so I can help Aston Villa. Playing football is what matters most to me and I'm looking forward to getting back to what I know I can do. This is the kind of club where I can do that.

"Villa Park is one of those grounds that I always look forward to playing at. The pitch is always fantastic, the atmosphere is always good and it's one of those historic grounds that you always remember. It's had FA Cup semi-finals and even England games when Wembley was being renovated so it's a very historic ground and it's somewhere I'm really looking forward to playing my club football."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Google+